Emily's school had a science workshop at Legoland.
They were challenged to build a structure that would withstand an earthquake machine.
She built her building.
Put a little man on top.
Walked it over.
Stood in line.
Only to get out of line, inform me she wasn't going to test hers and start taking it apart.
I don't like coaxing kids so I respected her decision.
While I helped her break it down I asked why she didn't test it.
She was afraid it wouldn't be the best.
My heart sank.
I gave her the "it's about testing, learning and trying again" speech.
Followed by the "there is always someone who can do something better, it's about doing the best you can" speech.
Finished with the "don't worry about how you compare to others, be happy for their success and your success."
Who knows what sank in.
Sweet girl. Sometimes you will be the best, sometimes you will be enough and sometimes you will fail. Each step is for learning as you go along your path.




No comments:
Post a Comment