One year ago Colin returned home from deployment #4.
A fact that everyone knows. Not big news.
For me, it is a fact that makes me want to cry.
That statement is like revealing a secret I don't want anyone to know.
Like the title of a book detailing sadness, failure and grief.
Four deployments has shaped more of me and my life that I wanted.
One year ago Colin and I looked at our lives and knew we had to pick up the pieces and start to build something. We had to begin the process of figuring out a normal relationship. More than just phone friends. More than long distance. More than my boyfriend comes home now and then.
Yes we have been married 8 years. Yes we have kids together. Yes we have had a lot of fun. Yes we have honored our promises to God. But the weight of his absence and the repercussions of his mission have been unbearable. So a year ago we started a new thing. Same commitment, different relationship. It started in part with his decision to buy me roses. I laughed at the first bunch. I complained about the price of the second bunch. I told him to stop after the third bunch. A year later, I don't see flowers in a vase, I see a new love.
Colin, Thank you for always coming home to me.

No comments:
Post a Comment